Edward Hospital located in Naperville settled a $7 million lawsuit to the family of a baby girl who suffered brain damage as a result of medical negligence in 2003.
Several hours after being born, the baby was placed on an IV which was supposed to administer 4.5 cc per hour, however; after a routine check up the bag was replaced and reset to 405 cc per hour. By the time the mistake was noticed and rectified the baby had already suffered trauma.
The plaintiff claimed the hospital was negligent in using an adult IV on an infant and failed to use proper safeguards to prevent the overdose. The hospital settled out of court and agreed to pay the $7 million.
The girl now ten years old, has developmental problems and requires special education.